Attorney Randy Mora

Ethical, Thoughtful And
Compassionate Guidance

Uncontested Divorce Icon

Uncontested Divorce

Family Law Icon

Family Law

Modifications Icon


Divorce Icon

Divorce & Property Division

Personal Injury Icon

Personal Injury

Can I modify my child support order?

On Behalf of | Apr 27, 2020 | Family Law |

When the courts establish a child support order, they consider the income of both of the parents at that time. There are certain situations, like becoming unemployed for example, when you will need to modify the child support order. 

If your circumstances have changed since the order was first established, you may be able to have the courts review and modify the existing order. Here are some things to expect when you request a review. 

Determining your eligibility for a review or modification 

According to the Texas Attorney General’s website, your child support order is eligible for review and potential modification if one or more of the following points are true. 

  • It has been more than three years since the order was last established or modified 
  • The amount of the child support order differs by either $100 or 20% from the amount ordered 
  • A substantial and material change has occurred since the support order was set last 

Determining a substantial and material change 

When determining if this applies to your situation, the following points are the basis for consideration. 

  • Has your income increased or decreased 
  • Are you now responsible for more children, either through birth or adoption 
  • Have your child’s medical insurance coverage changed 
  • Is the child now living with you instead of the original custodial parent 

While there is no exact time frame for this process, it is best to get started as soon as possible. If you and the other parent can cooperate, it will speed the process up quite a bit. You can submit an official Request for Review of your child support amount to the courts, but you must download, complete and mail the form to the Child Support Division of the court.